The Maidstone Museum was originally annexed to the college of All Saints. Chillington House was bought by the corporation to house the collection bequeathed by Thomas Charles. Julian Brenchley then added the collection from his exploration voyages, including America. He gave a handsome sum for the collections upkeep and £400 towards the purchase of the west wing, rebuilt 1871.
RETURN TO MAP