Brenchley's of Maidstone

1700

The Lower Brewery, Stone Street, and another Brewery in Brewer Street operated by the Cripps family passed into the possession of the Brenchley family.

1772

John Brenchley Mayor of Maidstone

1781

John Brenchley Mayor of Maidstone.

1789

George Bishop started the Maidstone Holland Gin distillery on the south side of Bank Street ajoining the Old Kentish Bank of Messrs Brenchley and Co.
John Brenchley built four alms houses in East Lane for aged men and women, and endowed them with 12 each.

1792

Flint Stacey Mayor of Maidstone.
John Brenchley gave a donation of 500 to the Blue Coat School.

1793

Brenchley,Stacey,Parker,Springgate and Penfold, founded a new private bank known as the Kentish Bank. The name is still retained by the National Westminster Bank.

1801

Flint Stacey Mayor of Maidstone.

1816

John Brenchley Mayor of Maidstone.

1818

Wm Henry Stacey Mayor of Maidstone.

1827

Wm Henry Stacey Mayor of Maidstone.

1828

Courtenay Stacey Mayor of Maidstone.

1834

Wm Henry Stacey Mayor of Maidstone.

1844

Edwin Stacey Mayor of Maidstone.

1847

Bagshaw in his 'Directory of the County of Kent', lists firms or proprietors of Brewerys including: Brenchley, Stacey and Brenchley.

1855

Demolition of the mansion on the east side of Stone Street, Kingsley House which originally belonged to Colonel Kingsley who fought on the Royalists side in the civil war, and died 1769. The property remained in the family until sold for building sites. It's last occupant was the Rev. William Vallance. It had previously been vacated, after many years tenancy by John Brenchley.

1870

John Brenchley bequeathed 10,000 to the West Kent General Hospital, opened in June 1833.

Street Map of Maidstone

This map shows the Brenchley family connections in Maidstone. Click on the red outlined areas.